sexta-feira, 7 de agosto de 2009

Expressões Idiomáticas com COLORS


with flying colours – successfully
I passed the Maths exam with flying colours.
(Passei na prova de matemática com ótimos resultados)


blue-collar workers – manual workers
Most blue-collar workers are paid weekly.
(A maioria dos operários é paga semanalmente.)


black market – illegal trading of goods
Some goods can only be found in the black market.
(Alguns produtos só podem ser encontrados no Mercado negro.)


black eye – with dark skin around because it’s been hit
I gave that boy a black eye because he’d been rude.
(Deixei aquele menino com o olho roxo porque ele tinha sido grosso.)



colour-blind – unable to see the difference between some colours
My father is colour-blind.
(Meu pai é daltônico.)


green – environmentally friendly
I’ve been using green bags to do the shopping recently.
(Tenho usado sacolas ecológicas pra fazer compras recentemente.)


once in a blue moon – very rarely
This coincidence can only happen once in a blue moon.
(Essa coincidência só acontece uma vez na vida outra na morte.)


white elephant – useless, good for nothing
That building in the middle of the square is such a white elephant.
(Aquele prédio no meio da praça é um baita elefante branco.)


true colours – without masks, in reality
“I see your true colours and that’s why I love you”
(Te vejo como você é e é por isso que te amo.)


give somebody the green light – tell somebody to go ahead
My mother gave me the green light to go to that rave party.
(Minha mãe deu sinal verde pra eu ir àquela rave.)


(tell) a white lie – a lie to avoid hurting somebody’s feelings
He told his wife a white lie when she asked him if she was fat.
(Ele contou uma mentirinha a sua esposa quando ela o perguntou se estava gorda.)


off colour – slightly unwell
I didn’t go to the party last Saturday because I was feeling a bit off colour.
(Não fui à festa sábado passado porque estava me sentindo um pouco mal.)


out of the blue – completely unexpectedly
He proposed to me out of the blue.
(Ele me pediu em casamento do nada.)


white wedding – traditional Christian wedding in church
I’ve always dreamed of having a white wedding.
(Sempre sonhei em ter um casamento na igreja.)


red-handed – in the act of committing a crime
His girlfriend caught him red-handed cheating on her.
(Sua namorada o pegou no flagra traindo ela.)


red carpet – VIP
Celebrities get red carpet treatment everywhere they go.
(Celebridades têm tratamento VIP onde quer que vão.)


green with envy – very jealous
My colleagues got green with envy when they saw my new BMW.
(Meus colegas de trabalho ficaram verdes de inveja quando viram meu BMW novo.)


white-collar workers – office workers, doing mental jobs
Most white-collar workers are paid montly.
(A maioria dos trabalhadores administrativos são pagos mensalmente.)


black sheep – a person who does things which embarrass his/her family
I’ve always been the black sheep. I’m the only artist in my family.
(Sempre fui a ovelha negra. Sou o único artista da família.)


(as) white as a sheet – very pale
What’s the matter with you? You must be sick. You look as white as a sheet.
(O que houve? Você deve estar doente. Você está branco como papel.)

Dica da Teacher Gisele
;)

Nenhum comentário: